Tigers Defeat Auburn 13-7
Apr. 17, 2012
CLEMSON SWEEPS THROUGH THE HEART OF DIXIE TO CLOSE REGULAR SEASON
Tigers defeat Auburn and Alabama to finish 15-4
The 2012 regular season started with a lengthy bus trip northeast to eastern North Carolina, so it only seems fitting we wrap it up by taking another lengthy trip in the opposite direction. Happily, the game results were the same, 2 wins on each leg.
Porter Huskey, Clemson lacrosse’s “official” driver was at the helm on both of these trips and continues to go the extra mile on our behalf. The team departed Clemson at noon on Saturday, Auburn-bound.
CLEMSON 13, AUBURN 7
It was a return to campus for Coach French as the Tigers arrived in Auburn to take on the “other” Tigers at 7 pm on Saturday. The game started slowly with Clemson needing some time to get our legs under us and Auburn having a number of players arriving close to game time. As the 1st quarter wound down, our Tigers started to find the range and finished up 3-1.
Clemson stretched its lead to 7-3 at half and out to 9-4 at end of 3. Auburn won the 4th quarter 3 to 2, but it was too little too late, resulting in Clemson winning the game 13-7.
Worthy of note was the work of our face-off guys, Chad Michaels and Danny Milks. Pressed into duty by Charlie Pontiakos’ recovering from a hamstring injury, these guys have showed tremendous improvement from the week before. Charlie has been out at every practice teaching them some (but not all, I’m sure) of his tricks and techniques, and they have developed into competent and competitive face-off middies. Good to see.
The only sour note to the evening was a non-contact knee injury to senior team captain and 2nd leading scorer Will Patch. Will went down when he planted his knee to cut midway through the 3rd quarter. Knee injuries are never good and the verdict on his injury has yet to be rendered pending an MRI in Clemson on Wednesday. There will be more commentary to come later on the spate of injuries afflicting the 2012 Tigers!
The team spent the rest of Saturday evening in Auburn, enjoying a group meal at Zazu’s Gastropub where a room had been set up by the Booster Club.
Scoring by Quarter:
Clemson 3 4 4 2 13
Auburn 1 2 1 3 7
Patch 5 (3g,2a), Brennan 3 (2g,1a), Buechele 3(2g,1a), Imperiale 3(2g,1a), Zacaroli 3(2g,1a), Kilbourn (2a), Fochtmann 1 (1g)
Murray: 7 saves/ 4 goals allowed; Speer: 2 saves/ 3 goals allowed
Milks: 9 of 15; Michaels 4 of 9
- 8 of the Tigers’ 13 goals were assisted.
- Junior middie Dan Imperiale had his high point game with 2 goals and an assist as well as made the Farkas eye-black Facebook page with his creative use of eye black. Should be checked out.
- Tigers had 4 players contribute 2 goals and an assist in the game: freshman attackman JP Brennan, senior attackman Chris Buechele, junior middie Dan Imperiale, and sophomore attackman Matt Zacaroli
- Will Patch had team high 5 points on 3 goals and 2 assists before he was injured.
- Tiger faceoff middies Chad Michaels and Danny Milks combined to win 13 of 24 faceoffs and gave Clemson much needed advantage of possession.
Copyright 2013 - CLEMSON MEN'S LACROSSE | Website by LaxTeams.net